The Ouachita Parish Women’s Republican Club is not a social organization. Our members are enlightened women and men who care about government and the political process. We believe that our community, state, and nation are improved when strong Republican men and women serve as public officials.
We believe in the Constitution and the basic principles on which the United States of America was founded. These include: a strong military defense, less governmental interference in the daily lives of citizens, lower taxes, fiscal responsibility of government, a sound economy backed by free enterprise, and the rights of individuals in their pursuit of life, liberty and happiness.
On February 2, 1953, a group of area Republican women decided Eisenhower's campaign for US President needed concentrated effort from all registered Republicans. They formed the Fifth District Republican Women's Club. They knew much work was to be done in the Democrat stronghold.
Even with the Eisenhower win, these women realized that their job was not yet done. So continue they did, adding new members to the club. Their biggest task was to get more people to register Republican. There were terrific obstacle to registering Republican in Ouachita Parish, not the least of which was the Registrar, who made it hard to register at all. The Registrar discouraged prospective Republicans by telling them they could not vote in local elections because there were no Republicans running back then.
During the Eisenhower years, the Fifth District Republicans Women's Club held political seminars with many guest speakers of local, state, and national prominence. Material was distributed to members from national sources. Club members continued their diligence to get new members and persuade people to change their party registration. In 1956 there were 3 Republican candidates for Police Jury in Ward 10. It was announced there would be Republican commissioners working at the polls in Ward 10 where the 3 candidates were running.
In off-election years, the membership of the Fifth District Republican Women's Club would wane but as an election approached enthusiasm mounted. There were campaign headquarters to locate and staff finance committee meetings, and campaign workshops. There always seemed to be a nucleus of dependable people to keep the club active although membership slumped to a dozen or less.
In 1958, the name of the club was changed to the Monroe Republican Women's Club and in 1960, the name was changed to Ouachita Parish Women's Republican Club.
Today, the club has grown to more than 230 members. We participate in all manner of political and community activities.